Of life,those stages and what they mean can differ based on the historical period and culture in which a person lives,as well as on the person's gender,class,and other aspects of personal identity.
In the article "What does it mean to be human"?,it states that "In colonial days women were socialized to become the property of men. It was socialization not only by parents, neighbors, religion, and friends that accomplished this, but also by limited opportunities for women in the larger society, and this prohibition told women what they must become to be useful in society. "I think that this relates to tony porters video called the "Manbox".That being because women were treated as property of men since colonial days,and the "Manbox" explains that woman were just consider sexual objects to men and that women were just to be beneath men.Tony Porter stated that the Manbox is consider rules of what a man should be or do as a man.
In Kilbourne's ,"Killing Me Softly" ,She stated that ads were use as an powerful educational force.And that only 8% of an ad's message is received by the conscious mind,that the rest is reworked deep with in the recess of the brain.It was shocking to find out that every picture we see is worked on or enhanced on by technology.I learned that women of color are only beautiful,only if they approximate the white ideal.I couldn't believe how blind I've been not notice how in some ads African-American women were feature in exotic jungles or put in ads as animals or with animals.
What I have watched and read had open my eyes to many new things.
And it's so crazy to me that I want to be a print ad model.Even after reading these articles and watching these videos.I'm not discourage to not follow my dreams as a print ad model.But I will say that I feel that my journey to become this print ad model has been hard since I'm African American woman.

What I've taken away from these readings and videos is that society has impacted women from adolescent stage in life.And that ads depict the wrong message to society about the ideal perfect woman that is put beneath a man and only use as an sexual object.
Even,before our generation women were always put on the back burner.Men are always giving the spoon fed to them,and are always picked first without being thought about twiceSo,basically I guess its safe to say that this is a "Man's World".
No comments:
Post a Comment