Sunday, December 9, 2012

Positive Functions of the Undeserving Poor: Uses of the Underclass in America



In the "People Like Us" video I Learned and it was stated,that its against the American principle to belong to a class.I learned that America is a nation of tribes.And tribes can be defined on what we do,how much we make,our goals and aspirations.Class is everywhere,but hard to see.And I believe that this can be proved because in Gans's article,"Positive Functions of the Undeserving Poor: Uses of the Underclass in America",it states that 
poor people involve themselves in activities which threaten their physical safety, for example street crime, or which deviate from important norms claimed to be “mainstream,” such as failing to work, bearing children in adolescence and out of wedlock, and being “dependent” on welfare. In times of high unemployment, illegal and even legal immigrants are added to this list for endangering the job opportunities of native-born Americans.
Now, this argument can be debated because in these activities any individual can involve themselves in.Doesnt matter what class there seen to be stated in.But it can be proven that lower class/poor people are mostly like the one to indulge in these activities.
Another statement that stood out from Ganas's article was "Like many other sociologists, however, I argue that the behavior patterns which concern the more fortunate classes are poverty- related, because they are, and have historically been, associated with poverty."
I agree with this statement.I feel like most of the people who are minorities are living in poverty.Which is history repeating itself back to slavery.I dislike to see homeless people on the streets,sleeping in alley ways,and falling into statistics theory by making themselves make up the percentage of poverty because they have to much pride or are to lazy.

4 comments:

  1. I definitely agree with you. There are people who are unfortunately homeless, but only with the ones that have a hard time finding a job...such as handicapped and mental sickness. There are cases when we saw on the news some homeless that make a lot of money from begging and for them that's how they trick the system to make money. I work in a restaurant. I always see American born person getting a job in the kitchen such as porter or a dishwasher.
    They don't really last. Some of them complain about the hours, lot of work etc. So they decide to be unemployed.Simple as that.
    Great blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess the american principle is a hypocritical since we do have class it just cannot be seen with the naked eye. I agree with you I feel horrible for the homeless and all those who are less fortunate then others. Also while I was reading your post It occurred to me that we are not much different from the indian tribes we exterminated many years ago because the indians had a class system whether it was visible or not and we have a class system that is invisible. I guess the only reason poor people resort to more deviant behavior is because they did not grow up and learn good morals. For me resorting to drug dealing or violence is out of the question.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shakelia,

    You did a really nice job of starting a healthy discussion about the reading.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great way of analyzing the article. I also must say I agree with you that the majority of the people who are poor are minorities.

    ReplyDelete